Subject: Re: [docbook] Polymorphic Modular DocBook

[I'm moving this thread over to the docbook-apps list where such
applications should be discussed]

Yes, it is possible to do this with the right XInclude processor.
This example in my book:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/DuplicateIDs.html

shows how to include the content of a section without including
its section wrapper, in this case to avoid a duplicate id, but
you could use the same xpointer() syntax with a chapter.

<appendix>
  <xi:include href="modules/chapter1.xml"
xpointer="xpointer(/chapter/node())"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"/>
</appendix>

I replaced "*" with "node()" here to preserve processing
instructions, comments, and text.  This method works with
xsltproc, but the Xerces XInclude processor does not handle the
xpointer() scheme.  If you are using a Java XSLT processor, you
could use xmllint --xinclude as a preprocessor step to resolve
XIncludes before feeding the result to Saxon.

DocBook Consulting