Subject: AW: [docbook-apps] Entity newbie question

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this answer. I fixed this in my xsl files. But it didn't help me.
My document have a lang attribute on the root element and i'm not using the kimber-index method.

I compiled my xml file with saxon and it works fine, but if i direct opened the xml-file with the Internet Explorer i get the following error:

Der Wert des Attributs 'lang' kann nicht 'concat(/*/@lang, /*/@xml:lang)' sein. Fehler beim Kompilieren des enthaltenen o...

So have you any idea how i could easily preview my xml files? Normally the functions of the Internet Explorer are useable. You know any other browser/extension or something else which could help me?

Greez Andreas

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2006 18:26
An: Andreas Kehlenbach; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Betreff: Re: [docbook-apps] Entity newbie question

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for bringing this up, because it made me realize I had introduced a bug.

The 'lang' entity is used internally by the DocBook XSL stylesheets, so it is not an entity you need to set in your documents.  Your document should have a lang or xml:lang attribute on the root element to establish the document's language code.

The "kimber" method of indexing uses Saxon extension functions written by Eliot Kimber to enable more advanced functions for grouping and sorting index entries.  It requires an XSL key that includes the current lang, but a key cannot accept a parameter value.  So the stylesheet uses an entity which is populated when the stylesheet runs.

The bug is the "en" at the end of the concat function in the entity declaration.  That was a test I was doing to see if I could create a fallback lang if none were specified.  It didn't work, because it was always appended, leading to lang entity values like "de-DEen" rather than "de-DE". I didn't mean to leave that in the distribution.  As it is, the kimber method won't work with it in there.  I just checked a fix into the source tree, and I'll test it when we get the builds working again.

It does mean that to use the kimber indexing method, your documents must have a lang or xml:lang attribute on the root element, and the configuration file for the kimber method (as described in the Isogen
whitepaper) must have a index_config element containing a national_language element whose value matches that lang string.

DocBook Consulting