Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Base URI for result of transformation?

Hi Tony,
The general behavior in XML is that a relative URL is taken as relative to
the xml:base of the element containing the reference.  If there is no
xml:base attribute, then it is taken as relative to the document containing
the reference.  In the case of url('...') in an FO document, then the
XSL-FO processor takes it as relative to the location of the FO document,
not the XML source, for which it has no knowledge.

If you aren't using XInclude and you are using fileref (not entityref),
then the DocBook FO stylesheet just copies the fileref out to the FO file,
and the XSL-FO processor has to deal with that path.  So if your main
document uses system entities to build its content from the modules, then
any filerefs are not altered as they are copied to the FO.

If you are using XIncludes to assemble your content, then the XInclude
processor adds xml:base attributes to the parsed XML before the stylesheet
sees it.  By default the DocBook stylesheet resolves xml:base attributes
for relative paths that it finds in any filerefs.  If you want to turn off
that behavior when using XIncludes (and thus preserve the original fileref
string), then you will need version 1.70.1 of the stylesheets and set the
stylesheet parameter keep.relative.image.uris=1.

DocBook Consulting