Subject: Static content in fo-region-start in ToC

Hello, world.

Using the running.side.mode customization detailed here:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/styling/fo.html#d2647e1042
I have been able to add a slim red sidebar (a simple .gif image) to the
fo-region-start for all of my book-level components like article and
bibliography, etc.

I am running into trouble trying to get the sidebar to display in my
table of contents, and all my attempted customizations to toc.xsl have
been a failure.

Is it possible to get this customization to work simply by adding:
  <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="running.side.mode">
        <xsl:with-param name="master-reference" select="$master-reference"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>

to the proper place in toc.xsl like I did with my book-level components?

Note: I DID create the fo-region-start in my ToC pagemaster, and judging
by the headers and footers the correct pagemaster is being used, so I
don't think the problem is from overlapping fo regions..
<mailto:docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>