Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Suggested Writing Style

You are referring to the empty <p> warnings reported by tidy?

Those are the result of a tricky piece of code that Norm wrote to unwrap
HTML content to make it more valid.  As you probably know, putting a pre
inside p is not valid HTML.  But that is what you would get if you just
processed a programlisting inside a para.  So the code Norm wrote finds
such blocks inside p, terminates the p, outputs the block, and starts a new
p.  In the case of no content after the programlisting, you end up with an
empty p element.

If you want to see what's going on, look at the template with match="para"
in html/block.xsl. It calls "paragraph", which calls "unwrap.p" if
$html.cleanup is not zero.  The templates to do the work are all in
html/html-rtf.xsl.  This is a nontrivial process, as you can see.

I suppose the templates could test a generated p that has only text to see
if it has only whitespace, and then not output such empty p elements.  Let
me know if you find the right place to do that and I'll check it in.  8^)

DocBook Consulting