Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] [SPAM] Background Color declared in DocBook XML not visible in PDF

This is most likely a FOP problem.

When I test your example with XEP, I see no background color (at least with
an opaque image).  That because the width and content-width properties are
set to auto when those attributes are not in the source.  This means the
image and its viewport are the same size, and the image will cover the
entire viewport and no background color is visible.

But FOP 0.20.5 doesn't support content-width properties, so you won't see
the effect anyway.

Is your image transparent?

You'll probably have better luck
putting the background color on the table entry rather than the imagedata.
The processing instruction attribute for table cells is bgcolor instead of
background-color.