Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Query: bug in <citation>#PCDATA</citation>

Ron Catterall wrote:

> "citation - An inline bibliographic reference to another published work"
> and "The content of a Citation is assumed to be a reference string, perhaps
> identical to an abbreviation in an entry in a Bibliography."
> http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/citation.html
> Note the words "perhaps identical"

Based on word "perhaps", I can imagine that stylesheet will try to
create link to corresponding biblioentry, and if there is no
corresponding biblientry they will silently process content of citation
element. This means that you will not see warning message when there is
no corresponding biblioentry. Or we can parametrize behaviour of citation.

> tells me that <citation> accepts #PCDATA - I always understood this was any
> parsed character data and had no other meaning within the DTD.

Meaning is always defined outside of DTD, and DTDs itself provide very
little to supports more advanced datatyping and link constraints in
documents.

> I take the point that  "citation - An inline bibliographic reference to another
> published work" seems to imply a <biblioref or somesuch, but the formal
> inclusion of #PCDATA in the Docbook DTD surely contradicts this?

No. You can create references (links) during processing and this is what
HTML stylesheet tries to do.

>>> FO transformation to PDF with XEP 4.6 interprets the <citation>
>>> correctly - no warning or error messages, and no [ and ] wrapped around
>>> the citation.
>>
>> Then this is bug in FO stylesheets that should be fixed.
>
> I'll query the XEP list on this.

Why XEP list? XEP has nothing to do with generating FO from DocBook
sources. It only processes output of DocBook stylesheets. Simply use the
following page to create bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/account/login.php?return_to=%2Ftracker%3Ffunc%3Dadd%26group_id%3D21935%26atid%3D373747

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
     ** XSLT 23.-26.10.2006 ** XML schémata 13.-15.11.2006 **
      ** DocBook 11.-13.12.2006 ** XSL-FO 11.-12.12.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature