Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] inclusion of a cr/lf file inside a programlisting results in double spaced lines in my pdf

Hi Chris,
I'll assume you are using XEP as the XSL-FO processor, since neither fop
0.20.5 nor Antenna House exhibit the double line spacing.

When you XInclude a Windows text file using parse="text", each line ends
with the Unicode sequence "
".  When the property
white-space-treatment="preserve", XEP treats each of these as a line break
and you get double spacing.  I guess FOP and AH are more generous in their
interpretation and treat the sequence as a single line break, since it is
the well known signature of a Windows text file.

But the authors of XSL-FO actually considered this, and provided (in
section 7.15.8) for white-space-treatment="ignore-if-before-linefeed". When
that property is set, then any whitespace characters preceding a

character should be ignore, which should solve that problem..  However,
when I set this and process with XEP, it doesn't help.  I would have
thought if that value were supported that you would get single line breaks.

I have to admit I've never pursued it with RenderX.  I've always just
worked around the problem by firing up vim -b (to edit in binary mode) and
globally deleting the ^M carriage returns.

DocBook Consulting