Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Source of Docbook + MathML -> PDF examples?

One free way to go from MathML to pdf is via SVG Math, a python
script. I intended to use this script to make my inline math have the
correct baseline shift, but I haven't done anything with it yet. Do
you really intend to use FOP instead of XEP or Arbortext E3? I hope
you like full page width tables.

What I currently do for PDFs with math is to generate an EPS form of
the equation. If it is an inline equation (where an EPS will not give
the correct baseline shift without some extra doing), I check to see
if the math can be represented as a string of characters with
superscripts and subscripts. If so, then I output the DocBook markup
for the string. If it is more complicated than that, I currently go
with the EPS.

I generate it all automatically (including the MathML, the EPSs, the
conditional formatting, etc). It doesn't look bad when I use the
personal edition of XEP.

There are several caveats though. One is that, since I am working with
DocBook 5 (it brings several features to the table), I constantly have
problems with the node-set processing (causing many headaches for the
(much) more experienced contributors to the DocBook project). Another
is that the programs I use to generate the math have problems running
together 64 bit computers  (Ant is a Java building program; MathLink
and JLink for Mathematica 5.2 is 32 bit - this doesn't work out too
well on my amd64 Gentoo system). And then my Windows workstation also
gives me problems because xsltproc is less stable on Windows than it
is on Linux.

That last paragraph is just a long way of telling you I don't have any
good looking PDFs + source to show you unless you are willing to wait
for me to execute half my build script on Windows and the second half
on Linux. Even then, there would still be the weird table captions
problem with DocBook 5.

I would be remiss to not mention dblatex.