Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] height of rows in tables

Ah, what you are running into is this bit of code in the template with
match="entry":

  <xsl:variable name="empty.cell" select="count(node()) = 0"/>

  <xsl:when test="$empty.cell">
     <xsl:text>&#160;</xsl:text>
   </xsl:when>

This inserts a nonbreaking space in an empty cell.  I don't know why, but
it was probably to work around some XSL-FO processor bug (anyone
remember?).

Since the fo:block in the cell is not empty, it generates a line area, and
the line area has the current line-height, as well as the 2pt of cell
padding above and below.  I think the height property on a table row is the
minimum height, but it won't be smaller than the content's height.

To work around this problem for your tables, just put a comment inside each
empty entry element in your divider rows. That will cause the non-breaking
space to be omitted, and no line area to be generated.  Then your row
height should work.

DocBook Consulting