Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <link xlink:href="..."> in XHTML output (DocBook XSL 1.71.1)

It is likely that you will need to use xl as the prefix instead of xlink.

I think the docbook xsl 1.xx.x stylesheets match namespaces by looking
at the characters in the prefix, not by associating a prefix with a
certain declared namespace from earlier in the document.

Unless your authoring tools require it, you don't need the DTD any more.