Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] word breaking

On 10/31/06, Chris Chiasson <chris@chiasson.name> wrote:
> Is there a way to tell docbook to recommend to the fo processor that
> the contents of varname not be broken (or hyphenated) for linebreaks?

I've been experimenting with some general purpose methods to let
@role='keep-together' on inlines recommend non-breaking to the FO
processor:

[extending inline.xsl]

I've modified all the inline.*seq templates, here one:

  <xsl:template name="inline.charseq">
    <xsl:param name="content">
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </xsl:param>

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="@dir">
        <fo:inline>
          <xsl:attribute name="direction">
            <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="@dir = 'ltr' or @dir = 'lro'">ltr</xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>rtl</xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
          </xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:copy-of select="$content"/>
        </fo:inline>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:if test="@role[contains(., 'keep-together')]">
          <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-line">always</xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:attribute name="hyphenate">false</xsl:attribute>
        </xsl:if>
        <xsl:copy-of select="$content"/>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

The above seems to do the right thing using AntennaHouse.

HTH,
Keith