Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Extending XSL stylesheets to match extended DTD

Hi Cameron,
Maybe I'm missing something myself, but I'm not clear on how DocBook is helping you much here.  I see very little usage of DocBook elements in your documents.  I understand that you might want to use the DocBook stylesheets because they are pretty versatile, but you may have more customization to do than if you just wrote XSL templates from scratch for your purposes.  You could always borrow some DocBook templates for the lower level elements like para and such.

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 12:20 PM

Hello, I'm trying to work out precisely what would be required in extending the DocBook DTD in order to produce a significant amount of coursework.

As part of this, I want to mark up a curriculum/schedule. This would be comprised largely of block elements, such as the following structure indicates.

schedule
week*
lecture*
title
presenter?
topics?
topic+
para etc.
themes?
theme+
para etc.
laboratory*
title
marks?
topics?
topic+
para etc.
tutorial*
title
marks?
readings?
reading+
para etc. (needs work to profile book editions)

I have a rough idea of what I need to do to create a customisation layer for the DTD, but none of the books I've consulted (including Docbook XSL) mention anything (that I could find at least) about the correct way to make a stylesheet extension.

Any tips? Or have I managed to miss something completely obvious?

--

• Cameron Kerr  •  ckerr@cs.otago.ac.nz •  •

• Telecommunications Teaching Fellow & SysAdmin •

•  http://humbledown.org/blog/ •  021 02 333 294