Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] disregard-shifts

Chris Chiasson wrote:
> David Toplin said the DocBook stylesheets tell the FO processor to set
> line-height-shift-adjustment to disregard-shifts (actually, he didn't
> say that verbatim, but anyway). I see that the root.properties set
> carries that setting. Why does it disregard shifts by default? Also,
> in an old docbook-apps thread I found[1], Bob S. said that xsltproc
> overwrote attribute sets (if set in the customization layer) instead
> of merging them. Is it still doing that?

The reason is very simple -- if you use footnotes and doesn't set
disregard-shifts your lines wouldn't be spaced uniformly -- there will
be larger space between lines containing footnote reference which looks
quite ugly. Of course if you put some larger images or stuff like that
inline, you must change setting of this property appropriately.

It is impossible to create default output for DocBook that everyone
would like. But you are free to change appearance of output very easily
by specifying your own FO properties using corresponding attributes sets
in the DocBook XSL stylesheets.

			Jirka

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
     ** XSLT 23.-26.10.2006 ** XML schémata 13.-15.11.2006 **
      ** DocBook 11.-13.12.2006 ** XSL-FO 11.-12.12.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

OpenPGP digital signature