Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] [QUESTION] Generating XHTML 1.1 from docbook-xsl

Kevin Ruscoe wrote:

> Adding a mod_rewrite rule to Apache cfg files is certainly ugly, but no
> great problem.

It depends on your web-hosters, and I have in mind completely different
hack (attaching identity stylesheets with <xsl:output method="html"/>
which allows to server XHTML as text/html to IE).

> risks leading us into a vicious circle.  On the other hand, supporting and
> evangelising standards can have the opposite effect.  I do not
> think that IE7's greatly improved support for CSS would have come without
> pressure being applied from the user community.

But it doesn't make sense to evangelize standard which doesn't offer
almost anything new compared to the previous standards. XHTML states
itself as "extensible" but it is totaly "inextensible" if you want to
conform to XHTML specification (you are not allowed to remove !DOCTYPE
and thus you can't use your own additional elements in a custom namespace).

> Personally speaking, I am grateful for the easier validation of XHTML,
> which allows me to have more confidence in the quality of the finished
> pages.

Then you must be using something else then W3C validator which uses the
same validation technology for both HTML and XHTML. You can give a try
to Relaxed validator (http://relaxed.vse.cz/) which uses RELAX NG +
Schematron for XHTML/HTML validation. (The same combination of schema
languages is also used for DocBook V5.)

 > http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#why
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/introduction.html#s_intro_xhtml_mods
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/introduction.html#aims

I'm wondering whether browser vendors ever read those pages :-(

                   Nejbližší termíny školení:
** XML pro vývojáře 19.-22.3.2007 ** XML schémata 16.-18.4.2007 **
        ** XSL-FO 15.-16.5.2007 ** DocBook 26.-28.6.2007 **
  http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

OpenPGP digital signature