Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Landscape example?

Hey Kari,
I experimented with landscaping stuff other than single-pages tables in
docbook+fo a while back. It works, but there are some limitiations on
what you can landscape. IIRC, you can use it to landscape chapters,
appendixes, or their direct children. So you couldn't landscape an
<example> arbitrarily deep in your doc's xml tree, it would have to be
the direct child of a chapter, appendix, or article.

I used Ken Holman's psmi stylesheets to post-process the xsl-fo that the
docbook xsls create.

So at a high level, the process is this:

1. Add some attributes/processing-instructions to your docbook source
indicating what should be landscaped (subject to the limitations
mentioned above).
2. Customize the docbook xsls to add in some special psmi markup to the
xsl-fo that the docbook xsls products. Ken Holman's psmi xsls will use
this markup to modify your fo.
3. Modify your build system to run the xsl-fo produced by the docbook
customization through Ken's psmi xsls.

I've got sample docbook xsls posted:
http://sourceware.org/ml/docbook-apps/2003-q4/msg00727.html
http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/psmi/

I'd love to see a clever solution that let me landscape arbitrary block
elements at any depth in the doc. When I looked into it, it seemed
tricky to do tho.

Good luck,
David