Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Formation of a new DocBook SubCommittee forProfessional Publishing

Perhaps I'm taking Gary's suggestion farther than either he or Scott intended, but what about the law itself, i.e. mark up for statutes or regulations? I would certainly be interested in this and happy to be of whatever help I could.

----------------------------
Mike Broschinsky
Administrative Code Editor
Utah State Division of Administrative Rules
801-538-3003
mbroschi@utah.gov

>>> "GARY Hoffman" <GHOFF@eslaw.com> 01/23/2007 12:36 >>>
Scott:

This is an excellent idea. May I suggest, however, that legal
publications not be limited to books. You should also include legal
memoranda, law reviews, trial briefs and appellate briefs (recognizing,
of course, that the required form of legal briefs varies from one
jurisdiction to another).

Thank you,

Gary L. Hoffman, J.D., LL.M.
Erickson & Sederstrom, P.C.
(A Limited Liability Organization)
10330 Regency Parkway Drive
Omaha, NE  68114
USA
(402) 390-7117
(402) 390-7137 (fax)
e-mail: ghoff@eslaw.com
resume: www.eslaw.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply

TAX ADVICE DISCLAIMER: Under applicable U.S. Treasury Regulations, we
are required to inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this
email or any attachment hereto is not intended or written to be used,
and cannot be used, either (i) for purposes of avoiding penalties
imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) for promoting,
marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matter
addressed herein.

>>> Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> 1/22/2007
6:29:16 PM >>>

Fellow DocBook enthusiasts,

The DocBook Technical Committee is amenable to the idea of sanctioning
certain customizations of DocBook without changing core DocBook.

It has been suggested that subcommittees could be formed for the
purpose
of creating official customization layers to support the needs of
various domains. These customizations will officially be "DocBook
variants", but will also drive requirements back to core DocBook.

I would like to propose the formation of a DocBook SubCommittee for
Professional Publishing.

The charter for this SC may include support for:
- Supporting periodicals as regularly published
  technical notes or journals.
- Professional book publishing (such as business, legal, medical, etc)
- Textbooks

The charter will not include support (initially) for:
- magazine and layout-intensive publishing

Please respond if you are interested in participating. If there is
enough interest, and the TC approves the formation of the subcommittee,

then the initial tasks will be to create a statement of work, and
submit
it to the TC for approval.

A first priority will be to identify which kinds of professional
publishing applications are most amenable to DocBook, and where
exchange
and interoperability are most needed in professional publishing.

Of course, all participants need to be OASIS members.

Thanks and best regards,

Scott Hudson
Flatirons Solutions
OASIS DocBook TC