Subject: callouts in html

I've just had a complaint that cutting and pasting from  a
programlisting containing callouts results in the numeric value
of the callout being pasted in the editor, e.g.

<phase id="chaps">                3
   <active pattern="chap.checks"/>
</phase>

where the 3 is the callout.

The suggestion was that the callout graphic be put into
escaped comments, e.g.

<phase id="chaps">              <!--  3 -->
   <active pattern="chap.checks"/>
</phase>

So that a reader could paste the examples without editing them.

Does that sound useful, or just lazy, to others?
I guess it's only of use to XML listings?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.