Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] "WYSIWYG Writer" Friendly Editing Tools

Hi, Eric:

My organization here at Sun uses FrameMaker+XML for authoring DocBook-compliant
documents. We use a subset of DocBook, not a complete DocBook installation.

For those items that Frame cannot handle directly, we use the FDK to perform
any adjustments we need when exporting XML output, and importing XML back into
Frame.  We rely on a standard set of Sun-specific templates/formats for styling
and applying formats to the XML elements.

Like the group you are working with, our writers have used FrameMaker for years
and like the WYSIWYG capabilities that FrameMaker has, especially for
structured authoring. It was one of the deciding factors for remaining
with Frame for XML authoring.  Many of our writers have been exposed to native
XML editors and were adamant about sticking with a WYSIWYG editing tool (that
in addition to the fact that not all of our documents are XML-based).

If you'd be willing to share what those "items are that FrameMaker cannot
handle yet," we might have some suggestions for you.  If you'd like to take
this communication off the alias, please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

Patricia Gee
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
SG Technical Publication Services