Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Please respond: adding generic sibling to high-levelbook components

Right. This element would be considered for addition in v5.0...

Question is: should these elements be collapsed with the intention of
applying a class or type attribute (e.g. <bookmatter class="preface"
label="Preface" /> or is it still semantically meaningful to leave the
existing structures, but use the generic one for any additional needed
sibling structures?

Not that we want to go and "hack and slash" many of the elements in DB
5.0, but now would be the time to make any backward-incompatible changes...

Best regards,

--Scott

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com> wrote:
>> Technically, Preface, Chapter and Appendix have the same content model.
>
> Yeah, to be explicit, in DocBook 4.4, they have the same children, but
> not the same attributes. chapter/@label but no preface/@label :-(
> [that's a big bummer for me] in DocBook 4.4. This is "fixed" in
> DocBook 5, so that's why it's may be a moot point to differentiate
> between chapter|preface|appendix anymore.
>

>> What about calling this generic structure "bookmatter" (since we can't
>> call it frontmatter or endmatter)?
>
> I like that.
>

> Keith

begin:vcard
fn:Scott Hudson
n:Hudson;Scott
org:Flatirons Solutions
adr:Suite 200;;4747 Table Mesa Drive ;Boulder;CO;80305;USA
email;internet:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com
title:Consultant
tel;work:303-542-2146
tel;fax:303-544-0522