Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] hyphenate.verbatim.characters format for multiple characters?

Hi Paul,
The hyphenate.verbatim feature only affects content in programlisting,
screen, and synopsis, not replaceable.

The other problem is that the hyphenate.verbatim feature inserts soft
hyphen characters, which FOP does not yet support.  It just prints hyphens
at each point.

I think you are looking for something more like ulink.hyphenate, which uses
a template named hyphenate-url to insert the character specified by the
ulink.hyphenate parameter after every character specified in the
ulink.hyphenate.chars parameter.   Since FOP doesn't support soft hyphens,
you will have to use zero width spaces, which do work in FOP:

<xsl:param name="ulink.hyphenate">&#x200B;</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="ulink.hyphenate.chars">. ,</xsl:param>

Of course, this doesn't automatically work with replaceable text.  You will
need to customize the replaceable template to call hyphenate-url.  And it
will affect your printed ulink URLs too, unless you differentiate the
customization.

DocBook Consulting