Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] AW: [SPAM] [docbook] "xmlto pdf" command failsin TeX/LaTeX step on debian system.

Am Mittwoch, den 28.02.2007, 09:26 +0100 schrieb Hinrich Aue:
> I don't much about latex with docbook, but I think that using FOP is the
> better way.
> Did you try FOP?

IMO yes.

I don't think so.

> I am currently evaluating DocBook as a framework to start building a
> personal documentation system (together with LaTeX and a couple of
> lesser-known products).
>
> I started playing with DocBook over the weekend and while the "xmlto
> html" and "xmlto html-nochunks" commands worked absolutely fine from the
> word go, the generation of pdf (or ps) documents does not function
> correctly.
>
> It looks like I might be missing a LaTeX package or that LaTeX is not
> correctly configured on my system.
>
> I suspect a problem with certain fonts somehow not being accessible --
> although I ran into no such problems while evaluating LaTeX.
>
> Here is the output of the "xmlto pdf" command.
[snip]

This looks like http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=291813
and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=318822.

I didn't fully examine the problem yet, but it seems to be caused by
passivetex [1], which has been removed from Debian Etch/Sid. As
mentioned in the mail cited in the footnote, dblatex(.sf.net) might be a
replacement for passivetex. But it seems, you are a Sarge user. I'm not
sure, what I should suggest. docbook-xsl(you can safely use the package
from Sid under Sarge) and fop should work for creating PDFs. But I don't
know, how this fits your LaTeX environment.

[1] See also http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=291813;msg=12.

Regards, Daniel