Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Better-looking DocBook XSL-FO stylesheets?

Perhaps a new section on the DocBook Wiki could be created, and people could contribute their customizations for others to use and learn from?  It might be very helpful to those getting started.

http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 8:36 AM

Wow, you guys are seriously active! :-)

Thank you Dave and Stefan for your very quick response.

On 3/4/07, Dave Pawson < davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
Hendy Irawan wrote:

> I wonder if there is already work on producing [open-source] customized
> stylesheets from the official DocBook XSL so that people will have more fun
> writing their books. :-)

Define more fun.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Yep I would say when I "click" (assuming GUI) the "publish to PDF" button, Adobe Reader will display a "cool" looking document that looks good.

From my personal point of view, having a good looking presentation output is a "killer feature". I think it would be great if we can have (probably unofficial) DocBook stylesheets with, well... more design.

On 3/4/07, Stefan Seefeld < seefeld@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hendy Irawan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been several years and the XSL-for-FO/PDF still very plain yet with
> fine functionality.
>
> I've been searching for "better"-looking XSL stylesheets (like those
> used by commercial publishers), but haven't found any.
>
> I wonder if there is already work on producing [open-source] customized
> stylesheets from the official DocBook XSL so that people will have more
> fun writing their books. :-)

What about starting with more functional Free fo processors, first ? :-)

Regards,
                Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I think you're right. I'm not sure about how comprehensive FOP is though...

So there aren't other stylesheets?

--
Hendy Irawan
Web: http://hendy.gauldong.net