Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Database for docbook components (i.e. section, para, etc) questions

Title: Message
Dean,

Regarding your question about using "DocBook components in Word documents," we convert some of our DocBook documents into Word because some customers require that format. We use an XSLT stylesheet derived from the DocBook-to-WordML stylesheet that is part of the DocBook XSL distribution.

Developing the stylesheet was not trivial, but it produces solid Word documents that require no fix-up. We are, however, just getting started with this type of conversion.

One of the best ideas from the DocBook XSL stylesheet is a structure for using templates -- created in Word -- to control the formatting generated by the stylesheet.  This means that when you need a new output format, you may be able to make most of your changes in a Word document and not need to modify the stylesheet.

Like the DocBook > HTML > Word conversion described by another writer, our conversion is just one way. In contrast, the stylesheets in the DocBook XSL distribution are designed for round-tripping from DocBook > Word > DocBook. Round-tripping, however, involves both compromises and complications. (I can't imagine going that route unless you really need to have people write or edit in Word for later processing in DocBook.)

Dave Nilsson

From: Nelson, Dean [mailto:dean.nelson@eecradar.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:15 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

[ snip ]

Also, I would like to know if anyone uses Docbook components in their Word documents. We have a marketing dept. that insists on using the MS Word tools but the software developers create docs in XML/Docbook. Can the two exist so we only have to write one XML section and not both?

Thanks for your input!

Dean Nelson
Sr. Software Engineer
Enterprise Electronics Corp