Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Database for docbook components (i.e. section, para, etc) questions

Yes. The XSLT stylesheet uses its rules to apply styles.

For example, one of the templates in the stylesheet looks for <para>
elements within <entry> elements. If the enclosing <table> element has a
"role" attribute set to "small" and the <entry> element is within
thead/row, the stylesheet writes WordML markup to set the style on the
paragraph to "TableHeadingSmall." That WordML would look something like
this:

  <w:tc><w:tcPr><w:tcW w:w="3420" w:type="dxa"/>
  </w:tcPr>
  <w:p><w:pPr><w:pStyle w:val="TableHeadingSmall"/>
  </w:pPr>
  <w:r><w:t>Blah, blah, blah.</w:t>
  </w:r>
  </w:p>
  </w:tc>

Here's what some of these elements are:

  w:tc = table cell
  w:tcPr = table cell properties
  w:p = paragraph
  w:pPr = paragraph properties
  w:pStyle = paragraph style
  w:r = run
  w:t = text

WordML is rather unusual XML because it just represents the Word
formatting, and you set the formatting with properties, which
may be attached to paragraphs, runs, tables, and other objects.

> For example, using my technique the contents of a DocBook <entry>
> element in a table heading row are mapped to an HTML <th>
> element. Word picks this up and applies any CSS I specify but
> tags the content of the heading row with "Normal + Arial, Bold,
> Centered." If I were setting up a Word template, I'd create a
> paragraph style "TableHeading" and use it here. I wish I could
> convince Word to tag content with paragraph styles based on
> something useful. The class names that reflect the original
> DocBook elements would be nice.

> Peter Desjardins

It's nice to have clear style names, but if your documents are the final
output, I would think it might not matter. The style names are most
valuable when you're going to be manipulating the formatting in some
way.

Sometimes, though, we have had customers who have specified Word
templates with named styles. But usually style names aren't an issue.

The DocBook XSL stylesheet, as I recall, makes an effort to use the
DocBook element names in styles.

Dave Nilsson