Subject: <informalfigure/> floats?

I've been trying to accomplish something that would appear to be
relatively easy. But it's stumping me.

(Using XEP 4.9 and DocBook XML 4.4, and DocBook Stylesheets 1.70)

I'd like to have a captioned informal figure around which the text
flows.

eg.

<para>
     <informalfigure floatstyle="outside">
        <mediaobject>
           <caption/>
       </mediaobject
     </informalfigure>
</para>

Given something similar to the above, shouldn't I expect the text to
flow around as many as three sides of the figure?

-David