Subject: Japanese Docbook/XML to PDF conversion trouble

Hi,

I'm having trouble converting Japanese Docbook/XML documents to PDF. I
have attached a very simple test document as an example (you can also
download it from http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/docbook/foo.xml in case it
gets mangled in the mail).

I have tried many toolchains but the best I got is a document where the
Japanese text looks like this:

    Japanese: ウィザード

I have also checked with a third party PDF document to make sure my xpdf
was able to display Japanese characters and it is. I suspect the problem
is in the TeX to PDF conversion, perhaps something to do with missing
fonts, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could put me on the
right track I would be grateful.

Here are the commands I have tested (using Debian testing):

  * with dblatex 0.2-2
    dblatex -o foo-dblatex.pdf foo.xml

    See: http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/docbook/foo-dblatex.pdf

  * with fop 0.20.5-8
    $ xsltproc -o foo-fop1.fo
/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/fo/docbook.xsl foo.xml
    Making portrait pages on USletter paper (8.5inx11in)
    $ fop -fo foo-fop-docbook.fo -pdf foo-fop-docbook.pdf
    [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser as
SAX2 Parser
    [INFO] FOP 0.20.5
    [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser as
SAX2 Parser
    [INFO] building formatting object tree
    [INFO] setting up fonts
    [ERROR] property - "background-position-horizontal" is not
implemented yet.
    [ERROR] property - "background-position-vertical" is not implemented
yet.
    [INFO] JAI support was not installed (read: not present at build
time). Trying to use Jimi instead
    Error creating background image: Error creating FopImage object
(http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/images/draft.png) : Jimi image
library not available
    [...lots more Jimi errors but that's ok...]
    [ERROR] Unknown enumerated value for property 'relative-align': baseline
    [ERROR] Error in relative-align property value 'baseline':
org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
    [...and a bunch more of these...]
    [INFO] [1]
    [INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

    But in the end I do get a PDF file, except the Japanese line looks
like this:
      Japanese: #####

    See: http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/docbook/foo-fop-docbook.fo
         http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/docbook/foo-fop-docbook.pdf

  * with db2latex 0.8pre1-5
    $ xsltproc -o foo-db2latex.tex
/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/db2latex/latex/docbook.xsl foo.xml
    $ pdftex foo-db2latex.tex
    This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
    entering extended mode
    (./foo-db2latex.tex
    ! Undefined control sequence.
    l.7 \documentclass
                      [pdftex,,a4paper,10pt,twoside,openright,]{report}

    And I get no pdf.

My LaTeX backend is TeTex:
tetex-base                      3.0.dfsg.3-5
tetex-bin                       3.0-30
tetex-extra                     3.0.dfsg.3-5
tex-common                      1.0.1

Maybe I need to switch to another LaTeX package like jtex (how?) or Texlive?

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget@codeweavers.com