Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] FW: Re: [docbook] recommend a tag for user accounts in computer documentation?

Yes, that works as well.

There are several choices here, and what you actually use will depend on the context and what you want to do with the document.  For example, if all you want to convey is that the item is a username, then this will probably suffice:

<systemitem class="username">root</systemitem>

However, if you want to convey that the item is a username *and* that it is user input, as in "Enter the username 'root' and log in", you may want to use one of the following instead:

<userinput role="username">root</userinput>

This is a problem that I frequently have with DocBook; there are often a number of ways to do something, and I have to think about what I really want to convey with the markup before I can figure out the approach to use.

Colin