Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook v5.0 documents - best practices ?

Fredrik Svensson wrote:

> while the TDG5[2] disuses :

TDG5 is not completely up-to-date except element reference part.

> There are also unexplained examples (The Document (or Root) Element)
> <book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";>…</book>
>
> Still is the version="5.0" needed ? recommended ?

It is required (by schema) and recommended. Current processing tools
ignore version information, but this might change in future. Version
attribute is also hook which can be used to differentiate between
various customized versions of schema.

> book.xml
> ========
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0" xml:lang="en"
>       xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
> <title>My First Book</title>
> <xi:include href="chap1.xml"/>
> <xi:include href="appa.xml"/>
> </book>
>
> chap1.xml
> =========
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <chapter xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0" xml:lang="en">
> <title>My First Chapter</title>
> <para>My first paragraph.</para>
> …

This looks good to me, but you should also let XML parser validate your
document.

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz

OpenPGP digital signature