Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] whitespace - confirmation please

El Lunes, 4 de Junio de 2007 13:10, Samuel Wright escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> Could someone give me a hand regarding my understanding of whitespace.
> Whitespace is significant in any element that can contain text, as I
> understand it.

That depend on the xml:space value assigned to that element on the DTD, and on
how the parsed used handles the "default" value. The definition discissed in
the W3C Recommendation for XML-1.0 can be found here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-white-space

> so
> ----
> <para>sdfsdfsdfds<para>
> ----
>
> is better than
> ----
> <para>
> sadsdsd</para>
> ----

Like said David, for block elements it not matter.

> Does this apply also with subelements?
> ----
> <para><simplelist>...
> ----
> not
> ----
> <para>
> <simplelist>...
> ----

If the child element is an inline, it might depend on the parser
implementation.

For example:

  <para>
     Some text
    <command>echo</command>
    more text
  <para>

should be equal to

but

  <para>
     Some text
    <command>
       echo
    </command>
    more text
  <para>

might be serialized as

That is why if some inline tag need be splitted to fit the desired file line
length is better to do it on an attribute, if any. For example:

  <para>Some text <filename
    class="directory">/usr/local</command> more text
  <para>

> What about editor indentation? Do all my <para> elements need to be at
> the start of the line?

You can safely to use indentation on all block elements, except on verbatim
environments (screen, literallayout, and so on)

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia