Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Whitespace in <indexterm>

El Martes, 19 de Junio de 2007 20:06, Steve Blair escribió:

> Can I change the behavior of FOP 0.93 to make it ignore the whitespace
> within the <indexterm> tag? Based on a recent message from Manuel
> Canales
> (http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200706/msg00003.html),
> it seems like I should be able to set an xsl:space value,

Not, the xml:space attribute is an attribute used on definition schemas (like
DTD or RelaxNG) to define how spaces must be treated on elements. Plus,
<indexterm> is already defined as xml:space="default".

The issue you are seing is due how FOP-0.93 handles <fo:wrapper> elements,
that is the FO element used to map <indexterm> and needed to create the
cross- reference links when not using the @zone attribute.

After being sure that the FO output is generated with indent="no", like Bob
said (is the default if you has not changed it on your customization layer) I
can think on only to ways to solve the issue at this moment

One is changing the tagging to:

<para>
        This index entry is in <indexterm>
                <primary>formatting</primary>
                <secondary>index entry</secondary>
        </indexterm>  the middle of a paragraph.
</para>

Not tested but should work.

The other is to use @zone attributes for cross-references links generation:

<para id="some_id">
        This index entry is in
             <indexterm zone="some_id">
                <primary>formatting</primary>
                <secondary>index entry</secondary>
           </indexterm>
        the middle of a paragraph.
</para>

and then avoid the <fo:wrapper> creation adding this to your customizationm
layer:

<xsl:template match="indexterm"/>

That is what we are using on LFS.

--