Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Complex parameters.

Pessimist Michael :-)

Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> You might want to take a look at this:
>
>   [Proposal for adding name-format markup to the CLDR]
>   http://unicode.org/cldr/bugs/locale-bugs/future?id=177;user=guest
>
> Handling display/ordering of names across locales is complex
> enough (see the example of Irish naming in the above) that I
> suspect you're probably going to find it very difficult to put
> together portable markup for it.

Assumptions I'm making.

1. I don't have to derive an honorific (or any variant).
Either the content is marked up or it's not.
I don't think for docbook deriving names is reasonable.

2.I can see how
	<nameOrder>hfml</nameOrder>
	<namePattern>%h%b%f%b%m%b%l</namePattern>
might work, but it just seems laborious (could be me though).

I'd prefer to use xml markup, and simply refer to the names?

<namePattern>
   <honorific/>
   <space/>
   <firstName/>
</namePattern>

If the el name can't be found in the item I'm formatting then it's a
blow up job? Or ignore it.
I do like the spacing idea though (%b) to move the layout task to the
author.
<xsl:text>might be the simplest</xsl:text>

Thoughts?

regards

--
Dave Pawson