Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] book / info / abstract / footnote not generatedinto HTML

Mike Smith wrote in response to JH:

> Jochen+oasis-open@Hayek.name, 2007-07-24 21:20 +0200:
>
> > I do have a tiny DocBook "book" here,
> > and my problem with it is,
> > that the footnote does not appear in HTML generated by the
> > 1.72.0 stylesheets.
>
> I have not looked at this yet nor had a chance to test with your
> example document, but I think it's possible that footnote in
> abstract is ignored by design -- the rationale maybe being that
> the abstract is not always included in output.
>
>   --Mike

I thought this was the case, too, but when I played around
with the example a bit, I found that the fo stylesheets do
generate a footnote, and the html stylesheets generate the
reference, but not the footnote (the reference is a pointer
to a non-existent id).

So, either way it looks like a bug.  There should either be
no footnote and no reference, or there should be both.

After playing around for a while, I have a pretty simple
customization based on 1.72.0 that should do what you want.
It simply inserts a call to process.footnotes in the abstract
handling code when the abstract is directly inside the info
element of a book.  This places any footnotes in the abstract
immediately after the abstract in the output.

It's not complete (the same thing will happen with abstracts
in the info section of <part> or <set>), but it does fix this
one case.  Here it is:
<!-- Process footnotes that occur in an abstract inside a book.
     Identical to the 1.72.0 template that matches "d:abstract"
     with mode="titlepage.mode", except:
     1) the match is just for abstracts inside a book element
     2) there is a call to the template named "process.footnotes"
        near the end
-->
<xsl:template match="d:book/d:info/d:abstract" mode="titlepage.mode">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="class.attribute"/>
    <xsl:call-template name="anchor"/>
    <xsl:call-template name="formal.object.heading">
      <xsl:with-param name="title">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="title.markup"/>
      </xsl:with-param>
    </xsl:call-template>
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="titlepage.mode"/>
    <xsl:call-template name="process.footnotes"/>
</xsl:template>
I hope this helps.  If nothing else, it gave me the opportunity to
look into how footnotes are handled in the html stylesheets, which
I hadn't had a chance to do before:-).

Dick Hamilton