Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Pure XSLT XInclude & XPointer in Docbook 5

Hi Bob,

Yes exaclty, I was referencing "3. Xinclude functionality" and I am not able to find a full featured java docbook tool chain. The best we have now about XPointer is the element() scheme when using last Xerces.
It sounds that the best thing able to do XPointer stuff in java is XOM but it is not transparent.
I didn't tested it yet but I have to do it, once done I will post my feelings/problems about this solution.

BTW, if someone have any tips about this matter, feel free to post it to this thread =)

Bye,
Mimil

On 8/30/07, Bob Stayton < bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
Hi,
The dpawson page you referenced is quite long, so it wasn't clear to me what solution you were referring to.

It sounds like you want to use the xpointer scheme in the xpointer attribute of an XInclude so that you can use an XPath expression to select content.  I don't know of a Java processor that handles the xpointer scheme.  It was never completed as a W3C standard.  The only implementation that I know of is in libxml2, in the tools xsltproc and xmllint, but that kit is not written in Java.

DocBook Consulting

From: Mimil Mimil
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:47 AM

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if the solution provided at this page (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/include.html) is working for the last DocBook specifications (DocBook 5). I haven't yet tested but if somebody already does I would be happy to know else I will give it a try myself.

In reality I am trying to find the best way to get XInclude/XPoint working on Java based implementations. And as many Java users (I think) we have problem to get a full java tool chain for generating documents from DocBook fragments.
As I could see java parsers are a bit weak on these 2 *standards* (maybe not their fault). So here are the 2 remaining solutions to explore:
- preprocess the XInclude/XPoint before parsing - I don't know yet which java tool is the best in such case for DocBook 5
- use a pure XSLT preprocess - As described in the link

So, what are your advices?

Thank you all,
Regards,
Mimil