Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Managing changes to the XSLT stylesheets

Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:
>
>> Confused. As you say, each time you update you lose your changes if
>> you modify 'docbooks' stylesheets.
>> A customization layer is much nicer, and re-usable.
>> E.g. if your directory stuff was in one stylesheet, I could include that
>> before the docbook ones. Then I get mine, yours, docbooks, all in
>> the right priority order.
>>

> I think the problem Geraint wanted to point out is that a customization
> layer does not pick up altered templates in a new version of the
> stylesheets automatically.

Mmmm. Is that dependent on the way you install docbook?
I now *always* reference .../xsl/html/docbook.html,
I.e. I never have version specific paths?
Always been the problem on docbook (for me) Norm and friends work
so fast I hardly ever settle down before there's an update,
usually with something I'd like. That's my solution?

  Assume you override the rendering of element
> A for whatever reason, based on version 1.68, and put that into a
> customization layer. Then you upgrade the official stylesheets to 1.73
> which contain a new version of the template of element A. Thanks to your
> customization layer, you still use your (modified) version of 1.68.

Hey Markus, I'm one up on you at last :-)

If your latest stylesheets are always installed in the same location,
you only need worry when something 'breaks', which is probably
only going to happen e.g. when we move from 4.5 to 5 or something like that?

I think I'm right on this?
(Until someone tells me I'm wrong :-)

regards

--