Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Non-validating Saxon

Hi Pedro,
While it may seem like Saxon is validating, it actually is not validating your elements against the DTD.  All XML parsers must *read* the DTD to find declarations of entities that might be used in the document, so that it can substitute the text for any entity references it finds.  So if there is DOCTYPE reference to a DTD, the parser must be able to read the DTD.  There is no way to tell  a parser to not look in the DTD if it finds a reference to one.  The entity processing doesn't add much to the processing time unless the DTD is accessed over the net instead of locally.

I think you should concentrate on fixing the DTD references.  Some more details would help.  Are you using an XML catalog and resolver classes? Xerces parser?  Have you modified the DTD files or locations?

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:28 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Non-validating Saxon

How can I tell Saxon 6.5.5 not to validate the XML files he is XSLT-processing?

In addition to the extra execution time, I’m having some mess with *.mod references. For example, I’m using the website.dtd and Saxon fails at finding the modules this dtd includes (extensions.mod for example). This is very strange as long as the ENTITY PUBLIC reference is pointing locally to “extensions.mod” (present in the same directory as website-full). If I insert a public http-path and add this new entry in the catalog.xml it works.

(Note: I=92m using Windows XP Pro=94 ;-).

Regards,

Pedro

Checked by AVG Free Edition.