Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] oXygen 9 beta with WYSIWYG-like editing supportfor DocBook

I would like to clarify the context these actions appear in oXygen 9.

We added a notion of *document type* that is associated with a document
based on a set of rules (root element name, namespace, file name, etc.).
For a document type it is possible to define
- a default schema
- default CSS stylesheets
- transformation scenarios
- document templates
- XML Catalogs
and also some custom contributions to the GUI when the user is in Author
mode.

These document types are fully configurable but we ship some defaults
and these defaults include DocBook.

These custom actions include table creation and editing actions (both
the CALS and HTML models are supported) like
- new table
- add column
- add row
- add cell
- join cells
- split cells
The custom actions include also support for lists allowing the insertion of
- ordered lists
- itemized lists
- variable lists
- list items

Then there are actions for inserting
- sections
- paragraphs
- graphics

In addition to these we added also the 3 actions for inserting emphasis.

Note that this represents just a default configuration of the DocBook
document type. One can create another customization with a totally
different set of custom actions, or no actions at all and share that
with his group of users.

All these custom actions are just making some processings easier but
oXygen 9 allows you to edit the file very easily without them - you just
need to hit Enter and you get the list of possible elements in that
context, we offer also something like the palette you mentioned with
possible elements in the Elements view. More, at any moment you can
switch back and forth between the text mode and author mode and the
location is synchronized so you can switch to a different mode and
continue editing.

These custom actions do not take anything from the generic editing power
of oXygen when it is in author mode, they are just shortcuts to insert
some markup in the document. If one uses very frequently question and
answers for instance then he may very well define some fragments and
assign them to custom actions so he can improve his productivity,
especially as you can assign also shortcuts to these custom actions so
you can invoke them more rapidly and without the need to use the mouse.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina - http://aboutxml.blogspot.com/
http://www.oxygenxml.com