Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] oXygen 9 beta with WYSIWYG-like editing supportforDocBook

Ron Catterall wrote:

> 2. Is Docbook lacking in structural elements?  Particularly in different
> types of emphasis.  This I think is the real problem.  I think we can
> all agree that a block element such as <chapter> is a structural
> element, so is a <section> and a <para> etc.  When we come to in-line
> elements, docbook offers us two choices which seem to imply presentation
> <quote> (put it in quotes) and <emphasis> (make it stand out from
> running text in some way.)  The trouble is that for some in-line
> elements the distinction between structural elements and presentation
> directives is less clear:

Sounds like you may be using Simplified DocBook. Check out the full
version sometime. There are a lot more than that. Some of the ones I use
include foreignphrase, firstterm, wordasword, uri, varname, database,
email, and many others.

If the one you need is missing, the steering committee has been quite
willing to add new ones. uri was added in response to my request a few
years ago, for instance.

> Could we accept <emphasis role="xxx">
> where 'xxx' is ...........?

Actually we have exactly that. The issue under discussion is the user
interface for presenting this element in a GUI.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!