Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] profiling and entities -

We have exactly the same requirement.

Unfortunately, we found that we couldn't use entities, because
XMLMind (our editor of choice) seems to permanently expand them when
opening a document, so opening something with &OS; becomes "Linux"
when the document is re-saved.

We have two ways to work around this:

1. We've added tags to DocBook - TargetOS, ProductName,
ProductVersion, etc.  These tags can contain nothing (not even any
text), and we've modified the stylesheets to replace them with text,
based on parameters passed into the xsl preprocessor.

2. (This is the way that XMLMind recommends) is to use xi:include:

<phrase id = "my_os_phrase">
   <phrase os = "win">Windows</phrase>
   <phrase os = "linux">Linux</phrase>
</phrase>

And then everywhere you want to mention the OS, just do:

<xi:include pointer="element(my_os_phrase)" />

(XML Mind wraps this up nicely with its "Copy As Reference" capability)

If your processor is set up to follow xi:includes, or you pre-process
them out, this should also do what you want.
(I've not actually tried this, because I've not got things set up for
xi:include processing yet)

Thanks,

Geraint North
Principal Engineer