Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] API reference manual generation ?

I agree that the output is not the prettiest, but it can be improved.

1. The example from TDG that you used is a little old.
<paramdef>...</paramdef> is used to indicate a variable number of arguments.
This is actually what <varargs/> is for, but a restriction on the content
model of <funcprototype> in DocBook prior to version 4.3 made it impossible
to use <varargs/> in this case.

ellipses (...) will be rendered in the output, as they should.

2. There are two output styles for funcsynopses, K&R (default) and ANSI.
Maybe you'll like the ANSI one better.

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/funcsynopsis.sty
le.html
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/pi/dbhtml_funcsynopsi
s-style.html

3. By setting the funcsynopsis.decoration parameter to 0, text decorations
such as italics and bold are disabled.

4. There is a variable in synop.xsl called tabular-p that controls whether
the output is rendered using tables or not. I don't know why this is not a
parameter. Try setting tabular-p to false() and see if you prefer the output
resulting from that.

> But more to my actual question: what is the best markup to use for a
> function for which I'd like to document
>
> - general usage (requirements, effects, results)
> - arguments

I don't know any other source of information about this than TDG
(http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/funcsynopsis.html). Do you think that there
is information missing here?

/MJ