Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] still setting up

Hi Craig,

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 10:48 +0100, Stefan Heuer wrote:

> [...]
You read Dave's answer? That's not right.

> > ----
> > Why is rather simple to answer...I don't know what I am doing other than
> > trying to follow Bob Stayton's book (4th Edition).
> >
> > /var/www/html/docbook-xsl/extensions/saxon65.jar is from docbook-xsl
> > stylesheets that I downloaded from oasis
> >
> > /var/www/saxon/saxon.jar is from saxon-6.5.5.zip that I downloaded per
> > instructions on page 19
> >
> > In fact, my $CLASSPATH is starting to accumulate several duplicates of
> > xercesImpl.jar and saxon[***].jar and I'm beginning to get real
> > pessimistic that the consecutive install nature of each of these things
> > (saxon/xerces/xalan/fop) are not necessarily all supposed to be
> > installed and added to $CLASSPATH.

Ok, a little bit wrong from me. The saxon65.jar from the docbook package
is not the saxon processor. The instructions are right. You have to
download the saxon processor and the xerces libraries separately and
install it. Where install means unpack zip file and add libraries to the
CLASSPATH resp. create a CLASSPATH.

Alternative to usage of a system classpath property you can set the
classpath with the option "-cp" on command line. Then you don't need a
classpath on your system.

> > ----
> > I'm not entirely following
> > ----

There are different part of the java call:
- "java" : calls the java binary
- "-D[options]" : here replaces used classes
- "-cp [options]" : sets the classpath for this java call
-  "[started java class]" : for saxon 6.x  is  this
"com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet"
- "[option for in and output files]"

You can type "java -help" and you will get a short overview over the
java command line.

----

----
No - should I use that instead of 2.9.1 ?

I have no time to test the new Xerces libraries. But I can tell you that
it works with the mentioned Xerces version.

Good luck

Stefan