Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Custom footers with chapter and section numbers (using FOP)

You need to customize the template that defines the content of markers with
class name 'section.head.marker'. You can customize this template from
fo/sections.xsl:

<xsl:template name="section.heading">
  <xsl:param name="level" select="1"/>
  <xsl:param name="marker" select="1"/>
  <xsl:param name="title"/>
  <xsl:param name="marker.title"/>

  <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="section.title.properties">
    <xsl:if test="$marker != 0">
      <fo:marker marker-class-name="section.head.marker">
        <xsl:copy-of select="$marker.title"/>
      </fo:marker>
    </xsl:if>

Instead of copying the $marker.title passed to it as the "marker.title"
parameter, you can generate something else.  Using mode="title.markup"
generates a title, and using mode="label.markup" generates a number label
(for an element that has a number).  Since a section number includes the
chapter number (usually), that should work for you.

      <fo:marker marker-class-name="section.head.marker">
        <xsl:apply-templates select=".." mode="label.markup"/>
        <xsl:text>. </xsl:text>
        <xsl:apply-templates select=".." mode="title.markup"/>
      </fo:marker>

Note that the select attribute selects the parent element using "..", which
is necessary since the context element for this template is title, but you
want to apply templates to the section element itself.

DocBook Consulting