Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Questions on verbatim output

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Millar" <paul@astro.gla.ac.uk>
To: "Docbook Apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:55 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Questions on verbatim output

> Hi,
>
> I've two questions about fix-format verbatim environments like screen or
> programlisting.
>
> First, is it possible to make them less verbatim; specifically, to limit
> the
> width to (say) 80 columns?  If a line exceeds the 80 character limit it
> is
> split and the remainder appears on the next line.  Ideally, this would
> include support for some kind of mark (an arrow?) indicating the line
> should
> have continued but has been truncated.

Yes, you can do this if you aren't using FOP.  See this reference:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/FittingText.html#BreakLongLines

> Second, I believe the DocBook FO XSLT uses the same verbatim templates
> for
> screen and program lists.  This allows customisation (e.g. smaller font,
> coloured border) for all verbatim text.  Is it possible to further
> customise
> the FO XSLT so (for example) screen has one background- and border-colour
> whilst programlistings have a different bg- and border-color?

You can put choose statements inside an xsl:attribute inside an
xsl:attribute-set, and select based on self::screen or
self::programlisting.  Here is an example from another part of my book:

<xsl:attribute-set name="formal.title.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="text-align">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="self::table">center</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>left</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>
You have to do this with each property.  Be sure to include an
xsl:otherwise so you don't leave an empty attribute.

DocBook Consulting