Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: XSL stylesheets HTML output issues (bugs?)

Richard wrote:
> --- Richard <...> wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>> It sounds as if those parts may not have come through for you? They
>> show on the list web archives  [SNIP]
>> The only reason I can think of why they might not [SNIP]
>
> Whoops. The list archive message URL should've been
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200711/msg00110.html
> The one I pasted was one I'd looked at the other day, since it had some
> useful bits. Apologies! :)

That's clearer. No, you're right. I didn't read below the lines.

"a) Limited accessibility with rendered HTML elements.
Which HTML elements get output, for the same 'effect', seems to vary
depending on which tag(s) were used in the XML source, and where they
were used.
Sometimes the <b> element is used for bolded text, though this is
deprecated
and works poorly with assistive technologies like screenreaders.
In other cases the <strong> tag is output."

That's simply an aspect of going from a richer vocabulary to a lesser
one. HTML has far less elements than docbook.

Jaws is quite happy with bold, which AT are you referring to please?

The logic seems quite predictable in the examples you quote.
Heading content is rendered bold for that class of formal block.
A list, of a different class of markup, gets the role attribute
mapped over to a span (which is an authors choice btw through
customization).
Again you could customize the XSLT if you always wanted a particular
markup in the output?

Re the cmdsynopsis, I guess we could argue all day as to what is right
and neither of us could be definitive. That's the way it is, if
you want to customize it please do.

I don't regard that as 'limited accessibility'.

You say
b) Command synopsis arguments when output do not have attributes for
CSS
referencing, nor any semantic markup.

Yet the class information is passed through for CSS use. What are you
looking for here?

The semantic markup is in the XML, not the HTML.

c) The parameter(s) to make output HTML be valid ... do not output
valid HTML.
Using <xsl:param name="make.valid.html" select="1"></xsl:param>
(am also using <xsl:param name="html.cleanup" select="1"></xsl:param>),
the HTML output is not
valid, because no doctype [http://www.alistapart.com/stories/doctype/]
is
included. This makes popular browsers render the pages in "quirks
mode", etc.

Some users clearly don't want the decl output. You found the parameter
to get what you wanted though?

With the complexity of the docbook markup it's often the case that
the output is invalid. The parameter does say this?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.