Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Font used for hyphenation-character

I think \ is fine for programlistings where the the code is a shell
script where you can escape new lines, but for other languages, I'm with
Geraint: you need something that's obviously NOT part of the code
listing. Here's what we do (using xep as our renderer):

<xsl:param name="body.font.family"
select="'CheltenhamCdITC,ZapfDingbats,LucidaSansUnicode'"/>

and

<xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties"
use-attribute-sets="verbatim.properties monospace.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="text-align">start</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="wrap-option">wrap</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="hyphenation-character">
	  <xsl:choose>
		<xsl:when test="@role and string-length(@role) =
1"><xsl:value-of select="@role"/></xsl:when>
		<xsl:otherwise>&#8626;</xsl:otherwise>
	  </xsl:choose>
	</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="font-size"><xsl:value-of
select="$motive.monospace.font.size"/></xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

Then in our document conventions section (for print output only) we have
a bullet item: "In multi-line code code listings the &#8626; symbol
indicates that the text was wrapped for typographical reasons."

The <xsl:when test="@role and string-length(@role) = 1"> stuff is there
so that if you want to use a \ for a particular listing, you can do
<programlisting role="\">.

David