Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] styling links (was: Weird characters in generated HTML)

I ran across a little more info about this. If you do what I suggested
previously, a[href]{ color: red; text-decoration: underline;}, then your
problem is fixed in firefox, but you've got a new problem in IE (in 7
anyway...not sure about others). It appears that IE 7 doesn't recognize
the a[href] selector. So your caught between a mozilla bug (inabiilty to
recognize a[href]). So here's my advice:

1. Don't style link text (best approach...I don't style them except for
this one css that I inherited, which is where I ran across this problem)
2. If you do, ask someone on a css list how to deal with the problem,
given that your content will have lots of <a id="foo"/> tags and you
can't/don't want to force them to be <a id="foo"></a>.
3. You could try getting your output to look like this, but I'm no css
expert. This seems to handle IE and Firefox, but I don't know about
other browsers:

a[href]{ color: red; text-decoration: none;}
<!--[if IE]>
a{ color: red; text-decoration: none;}
<![endif]-->

David