Subject: Re: Table rendered badly with docbook xsl + xsl-fo

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:21:08 +0200, Dave Cushman <dave@cushmanroad.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure it will solve all of your table issues, but try this in
> your customization to get the table to break across pages:
>
> <xsl:attribute-set name="formal.object.properties">
>     <xsl:attribute
> name="keep-together.within-column">auto</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageBreaking.html#KeepTogetherPI

   Thanks, that helped a lot - now the table is broken across several
pages. Still, the output is bad, more about this later.

   I find it a little strange that the transformations default to keeping a
table on a single page even if it means leaving out most of the table
content. It sounds like a bug to me - I can't imagine enyone would prefer
having only part of the whole table displayed instead of breaking it onto
several pages.
   Is there a value for keep-together.within-column (or some other
attribute) that would mean "keep on a single page as long as the table
fits on a single page"?

   Now that all the content of the table is displayed, there is a problem
w/ the columns. In the table, the colprops are defined like this:

       <colspec colnum='1' colname='c1' colwidth='1.00*'/>
       <colspec colnum='2' colname='c2' colwidth='1.00*'/>
       <colspec colnum='3' colname='c3' colwidth='1.00*'/>
       <colspec colnum='4' colname='c4' colwidth='1.00*'/>
       <colspec colnum='5' colname='c5' colwidth='2.00*'/>

   What seems to happen is that the three fist columns are displayed quite
wide, and the two last colums are written on top of each other in the very
little space that is left. Very strange default behavior - again, I can't
imagine when one would want text of two colums to be written on top of
each other (rendering unreadable garbage), so this must be a bug? Can this
be controlled via some attributes, too?

        -Antti-

   Ps. Note that the docbook source I'm transforming is in the docbook xsl
distribution - thus, if interested, you can run the transformation
yourself (see my previous post for exact command line) to see how the
output looks like.