Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] line-breaks after slashes in filenames

Hi,

> I'm using docbook - xsl-fo and fop to create a pdf. In my text I have
> occasionally the problem, that a part marked with <filename> breaks
> inappropriate like this:
>
> some long and random text /
> etc/passwd some more text
>
> This is not what I want, of course. I want to get the '/' on the next
> line. Its ok to break after a slash on longer filenames, but not after
> the first.
>
> I tried to force a line-break by using a processing instruction to
> insert a <fo:block/> element in my FO, but this breaks the justification
> of the previous line, which also doesn't look pretty good.
>
> How can I solve this problem? A solution that would allow forced
> line-breaks without breaking the justification would be ok for me.

For ulinks there are already two parameters how does URL breaking.

Did you already know the following parameters?
 http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/ulink.hyphenate.html
 http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/ulink.hyphenate.chars.html

However, these apply to ulinks, not to filenames. Try the following:

1. Write a customization layer
2. Set hyphenation="false" to avoid any hyphenation
3. Call the named template "hyphenate-url" in your filename template. This
   template takes care of the appropriate location and inserts the character
   from the ulink.hyphenate parameter.

This snippet needs to be inserted into your customization layer:

<xsl:template match="filename">
  <fo:inline hyphenate="false">
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="hyphenate-url"/>
  </fo:inline>
</xsl:template>

The above template can be improved, but it's just the general idea.

Hope that helps,
Tom