Subject: xref vs. olink

I'm cross posting this from the docbook list...
I'm wondering which is more appropriate for creating cross-references when working with modular content: xref or olink?

xref has very well defined behavior, but causes validation errors in modules that have references to other modules. olink is tool chain specific, but doesn't have the validation problem.

I'm working in an environment where section elements are the basic building blocks of the complete documents. I also need to be able to publish single chapters out of a book.

We use docbook 4.5 and have the tool chain set to prefer internal olinks.