Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Simple way to have no (apparent) cover pages in PDF output

Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

From what you said it seemed that the simplest thing was to make this an article and not a book. Alas, that seems to have some interaction with the custom page masters I set up to have a background graphic in the footers, which is another new thing I’m trying to do. While the root element was book, it seemed to work (except for there being no footer image on the last page, for some reason). When I changed it to article, fop generates an error that says

2:39773 page-sequence must be child of root, not fo:flow

and so I get no PDF at all. Any idea why that doesn’t occur when the root is book but does when it’s article?

Alan

Alan C. Oehler

Sr. Technical Writer

Citrix Systems, Inc.

Virtualization & Management Division

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:37 AM
To: Alan Oehler; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Yes, a chapter element generates a page-sequence in FO output, and a page sequence always starts on a new page.  If you want to use book and chapter, you'll need to customize both templates so that book generates a page-sequence for all your content, and chapter does not.  Or you might just use article, if that suffices for your needs.  An article is a single page-sequence.